If you have similar symptoms as shown in Lymes disease, then you really need to get yourself tested. In my case, I
never knew anything about Lymes disease. No one suggested me to undergo any kind of tests. If I had tested myself on
time, I may have prevented further spread of disease in my body.
Lymes disease antibodies test locates the bacteria, Borrelia burgdorferi in individual’s blood. This test is important because Lymes disease is tough to detect. The reason is its symptoms are same as that of other illnesses.
If you suffer from Lymes disease, your doctor will make study of your medical history and conduct physical exam. Now, doctor will carry out antibodies test on you. In this test, doctors take out a sample of fluid from joint or spine.
This test works only after two months of acquisition of Lymes disease by individuals. However, detection of antibodies from an individual’s blood sample does not reveal whether that person has acquired the disease in recent two months or in past.
I found that there are three common types of antibody tests to trace Lymes disease.
- Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay or ELISA: This test is more common and identifies the antibodies of lymes disease rapidly. This is reliable type of test.
- Indirect Florescent Antibody or IFA: IFA screens antibodies of Lymes Disease from blood sample.
- Western Blot Test: Physicians conduct western blot test to detect the chronic type of Lymes disease accurately.
Antibody testing is a 2-step process. Doctors can conduct ELISA test or IFA test on individuals. If these two tests confirm the presence of Lymes disease among individuals, the physician asks the patient to undergo western blot test as well. In my case, I had tested positive in all three tests.
In-depth research on this disease, lead me to find about some advance tests. They are as follows:
- PCR or Polymerase Chain Reaction: This test detects DNA of Lymes disease bacterium. This PCR test spots live infection, if indicants of this disease do not heal out even after adequate antibiotic treatment.
- Skin Culture: This test checks the skin tissue of individual. If the Borrelia burgdorferi bacterium is present on tissue, then that person suffers from Lymes disease.
Thus, if you think that you have developed a rash after an insect’s bite, then I urge you not to neglect it and get yourself tested as soon as possible.